Map

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
Filter
  • Select a Category in the Filter Menu
  • 1 Barclay Farmstead Museum

    Welcome to Barclay Farmstead at 209 Barclay Lane, nestled on 32 acres in the heart of Cherry Hill, NJ. Visitors can step back in time to learn about South Jersey’s Quaker and agrarian heritage at this well-restored 1816 brick farmhouse and remaining outbuildings. Inside the farmhouse, which remains remarkably intact from the Federal period, every room is furnished with both period-appropriate antiques and original collections from one of the founding families. Visitors will find a springhouse, forge barn, corn crib, and privy, each restored and furnished. Visitors can also enjoy the beautiful grounds, which include an herb garden, apple orchard, walking trails, community garden plots, playground, and picnicking locations. The Barclay Farmstead Museum is listed in the National and New Jersey Registers of Historic Places. The site is handicap-accessible on the first floor only.

    All visitors are advised to review the Barclay Farmstead Museum Facebook page (link) BEFORE making a visit to ensure that the site is open and ready for visitors.

    Location: 209 Barclay Lane, Cherry Hill NJ

  • 2 Battleship New Jersey Museum and Memorial

    The Battleship New Jersey, docked at the Camden waterfront, is the largest visitor attraction in Camden County. The USS New Jersey is the longest, fastest, most decorated battleship in history. Built at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard and launched on December 7, 1942, the USS New Jersey saw action in World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Lebanese Civil War (1983-84), and the Cold War. In 1999, the ship was brought home to New Jersey for restoration before opening as the Battleship New Jersey Museum and Memorial in 2001. Visitors can explore the massive ship as they climb ladders, step through passageways, and move through compartments as sailors and officers once did. Overnight encampments at the museum are popular for groups. Participants sleep in original berths and eat in the mess decks while learning about a sailor’s life onboard.

    All visitors are advised to review the Battleship New Jersey’s website (link) BEFORE making a visit to ensure that the site is open and ready for visitors.

    Location: 62 Battleship Place, Camden NJ

  • 3 Burrough-Dover House

    The Burrough-Dover House is an early fieldstone house, built in two phases beginning in 1710. An addition was completed in 1793.

    The 1793 wing contains original paneling and cornice work, as well as an original, round-headed corner cupboard. Home to the English Quaker Burrough family from its construction, the Dover family later occupied the house from 1838 until 1960. It was used by Pennsauken Township for the NJ Tercentenary, then turned over to the newly-formed Pennsauken Historical Society. The Society offers tours, special events, and a small museum at Burrough-Dover House. The beautiful grounds are perfect for a picnic. The site connects to Pennsauken Creek by a nature trail. The property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

    All visitors are advised to review the Burrough-Dover House Facebook page (link), BEFORE making a visit to ensure that the site is open and ready for visitors. The site is handicap-accessible on the first floor only.

    Location: 9201 Burrough-Dover House Lane, Pennsauken NJ

    Photo: Courtesy of Burrough-Dover House

  • 4 Camden County Historical Society, Pomona Hall

    Founded in 1899, the Camden County Historical Society (CCHS) is a public, nonprofit organization dedicated to the collection, preservation, study, interpretation, and cultural enrichment of life in Camden County and Southern New Jersey.

    The CCHS campus includes Pomona Hall Historic House (1726), Hineline Research Library, Cultural Heritage Center auditorium, African American History Room, Latinx Heritage Room, and the Camden County Museum; featuring exhibits on the Lenape People, the American Revolution, the Victor Talking Machine Company, and the Camden Music Hall of Fame. CCHS welcomes visitors for tours of the museum and historic house, for historic research in its library, and for scheduled programs and events.

    CCHS is telling a more balanced history of the region while taking on leadership as a neighborhood community-builder, as well as a major partner in citywide, countywide, and South Jersey history projects. The Camden County History Alliance is one of CCHS’s major projects. A new museum in North Camden, the American Revolution Museum of Southern New Jersey, will open in time for America’s 250th celebrations in 2026.

    All visitors are advised to review the Camden County Historical Society’s website (link) BEFORE making their visit to ensure that the site is open and ready for visitors.

    Location: 1900 Park Blvd., Camden NJ

    Photo: Courtesy of Historic American Buildings Survey

  • 5 Camden Shipyard and Maritime Museum

    Enjoy the rich shipbuilding and maritime history of Camden in the Shipyard Museum, which brings the legacy of South Jersey's past nautical ways to life. The Museum has transformed the former Episcopal Church of Our Savior into an exhibit space that tells the more than 200-year-old story of shipbuilding along the Camden waterfront.

    The museum’s campus includes an 1892 parish hall and 1912 rectory, along with the 1880 Gothic Revival brownstone church, designed by noted architect George Hewitt. The church historically served a congregation linked to the nearby shipbuilding and maritime industries. The buildings eventually fell into a deteriorated condition. The museum and a local community development organization purchased the complex in 2007 and restored and opened the site as the Camden Shipyard and Maritime Museum.

    The museum is also home to the Urban BoatWorks program, which teaches middle and high school youth how to build wooden paddle boats, canoes, and kayaks.

    All visitors are advised to review the Camden Shipyard and Maritime Museum’s website (link) BEFORE making a visit to ensure that the site is open and ready for visitors.

    Location: 1912 Broadway, Camden NJ

  • 6 Champion School

    The Champion School is located at 2910 Lynne Avenue in Haddon Township, NJ, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Friends of the Champion School have worked for decades to restore this historic building, create a handicap-accessible restroom, and offer tours and events at the site several times a year. They have an active Facebook page, Friends of Champion School (link)

    Location: 2910 Lynne Avenue, Haddon Township NJ

  • 7 Clementon Historical Commission Fisher Museum

    Visit the John H. Fisher Memorial Museum, where the Clementon Historical Commission collects, organizes, and shares the rich history of the Camden County lake town once called “South Jersey’s Coney Island.”

    Location: 1956 Gibbsboro Road, Clementon NJ

  • 8 Collings-Knight House

    The Collings-Knight House is a 19th-century farmhouse depicting life before electricity, plumbing, and central heating. It contains an extensive collection of period furnishings. The Collings-Knight House is significant as one of only two remaining historic homes associated by direct bloodline with one of the area's six original European settlers. It was the home of the most influential families in Collingswood history, and, architecturally, it is the most sophisticated and best preserved of three surviving regional examples of Federal homes executed to resemble expanded colonial houses.

    All visitors are advised to review the Collings-Knight House website (link) BEFORE making a visit to ensure that the site is open and ready for visitors. The house is not handicap-accessible at this time.

    Location: 500 West Collings Avenue, Collingswood NJ

  • 9 Esther Raab Holocaust Museum/Goodwin Education Center

    The mission of the Jewish Community Relations Council Esther Raab Holocaust Museum and Goodwin Education Center is to use the history of the Holocaust as a vehicle for teaching people about the past and educating them for the future. The objective of this effort is not only to remember the events of the Holocaust, but also to reduce prejudice, and affect attitudes such that there will be a lessening of hatred, bigotry, and violence against all groups.

    All visitors are advised to review the Esther Raab Holocaust Museum & Goodwin Education Center website (link) BEFORE making a visit to ensure that the site is open and ready for visitors.

    Location: Inside the Katz JCC, 1301 Springdale Road, Cherry Hill NJ

  • 10 Gabreil Daveis Tavern Museum

    Tours of the 1756 Gabreil Daveis Tavern and grounds share the history of his brick and stone tavern, which once accommodated boatmen who used Big Timber Creek to ship goods to Philadelphia. The historic plantation was later home to four Revolutionary War soldiers, one Civil War captain, and one World War I soldier. Step back in time and explore local history!

    All visitors are advised to review the Gloucester Township Historic and Scenic Preservation Committee’s Facebook page (link) BEFORE making a visit to ensure that the site is open and ready for visitors.

    Location: 500 Third Avenue, Glendora NJ

    Photo: Courtesy of John Brach

  • 11 Gloucester City Historical Society

    Visit the Gloucester City Historical Society, where you will be able to travel back through time. It has displays of arrowheads, local cemetery records, and a vast collection of yearbooks—just a sampling of its varied holdings and exhibits.

    All visitors are advised to review the Gloucester City Historical Society website (link) BEFORE making a visit to ensure that the site is open and ready for visitors.

    Location: 34 North King Street, Gloucester City NJ

  • 12 Glover Fulling Mill Park

    The Glover Fulling Mill Park site is a significant reminder of the importance of 18th and 19th-century industrial development in New Jersey. John Glover built his mill in this location in 1773-76. Today, the Glover Fulling Mill is an archaeological site in a public park. It is an early example of a building that combined the “fulling of cloth with the operations of dying and pressing at a time when fulling more generally was in conjunction and in the same building with grist and/or saw milling.” The mill was located on the north side of the navigable creek called the “King’s Run,” which is the south branch of Newton Creek off the Delaware River.

    John Glover was a noted local businessman who built and operated the Glover Fulling Mill. Although a Quaker, he joined the American Revolution Patriot cause, enlisted in the Army, and was read out of the Friends’ Meeting for doing so. After the Revolutionary War, he served in local government and eventually handed down his business to his son. The Mill eventually closed, and it is currently a ruin at the edge of the creek. Glover Fulling Mill Park is open dawn to dusk every day.

    Location: Interpretive sign located at the end of Fulling Mill Lane, Haddon Heights NJ

  • 13 Griffith Morgan House

    The Griffith Morgan House is one of the oldest houses in Camden County. The homestead of the Morgan family dates to circa 1693; it was home to succeeding generations of Morgans, including Alexander, a slaveholder who was prominent in local civic and Quaker affairs, who is believed to have built the existing house. It was also home to his son, Joseph, who was a listed member of the local Committee of Correspondence. This is one of the first dwellings to be constructed of “Jersey Sandstone.” The ends of the structure, including the gambrel gables, are constructed of handmade clay brick, which was also a local material.

    Operated by the Pennsauken Historical Society, the house features a working colonial hearth. Visitors can enjoy tours of the museum and exhibits of local history, Welsh heritage events, and varied programs with living history activities.

    All visitors are advised to review the Griffith Morgan House Facebook page (link) BEFORE making a visit to ensure that the site is open and ready for visitors.

    Location: 243 Griffith Morgan Lane, Pennsauken NJ

    Photo: Courtesy of Griffith Morgan House

  • 14 Historic Berlin Railroad Depot, Long-A-Coming Historical Society

    The Long-A-Coming Historical Society is dedicated to the preservation of Berlin's history. It has restored three of Berlin's most important historic buildings, and currently manages a small museum and holds a variety of events.

    The Society’s Historic Berlin Railroad Station, the oldest existing station in New Jersey, is located at 65 Washington Avenue, Berlin, NJ, and is open from 11:00AM to 2:00PM on the third Saturday of the month from April to October and for special events. Meetings are held on the third Tuesday of the month from September to June at 7:30 PM at the Historic Berlin Railroad Station.

    All visitors are advised to review the Historic Berlin Railroad Depot Facebook page (link) BEFORE making a visit to ensure that the site is open and ready for visitors.

    Location: 65 Washington Avenue, Berlin NJ

    Photo: Courtesy of Long-A-Coming Historical Society

  • 15 Historical Society of Haddonfield

    The Historical Society of Haddonfield was founded in 1914 by residents who had recently organized a celebration of the New Haddonfield Plantation’s 200th anniversary. Today, its mission is twofold—first, to promote awareness of the history of Haddonfield and its place in the wider world, and second, to provide a center where the widest possible audience can access and study directly the documentary and physical remains of that history.

    HSH maintains two historic houses (Greenfield Hall and the Samuel Mickle House), museum collections (which include ceramics, glass, textiles, dolls, toys, and tools), and a rich research archive and library. In addition to publishing a quarterly newsletter and books related to Haddonfield history, it holds quarterly lectures on topics of historical interest, sponsors a book club, and hosts other special events throughout the year (both in person and online).

    Please review the Historical Society of Haddonfield website (link) BEFORE visiting the physical site to confirm that the campus is open and ready for visitors.

    Location: 343 Kings Highway East, Haddonfield NJ

    Photo: Courtesy of Haddonfield Historical Society

  • 16 Indian King Tavern Museum

    Explore the Indian King Tavern Museum, where 18th-century tavern life bustled. Visit the very rooms in which New Jersey’s newly formed patriot government convened in the spring and fall of 1777. During these meetings, the New Jersey Council of Safety was created and the design for the Great Seal of the State was accepted. Timothy Matlack, the scribe of the Declaration of Independence, was born in the house. The tavern is a significant example of an 18th-century wayside tavern used by stagecoach passengers and horseback riders who traveled the main road, Kings Highway, between Salem, Philadelphia, Burlington, Princeton, New Brunswick, and New York. Dolly Payne (later Madison) often visited her uncle Hugh Creighton here, who ran the tavern when she was a young girl. The Indian King Tavern is located in historic downtown Haddonfield, where a walk on Kings Highway blends the old with the new.

    All visitors are advised to review the Friends of the Indian King Tavern Museum’s website (link) BEFORE making a visit to ensure that the site is open and ready for visitors.

    Location: 233 Kings Highway East, Haddonfield NJ

    Photo: Courtesy of Indian King Tavern Museum

  • 17 Magnolia Historical Society, Train Station and Park

    The Magnolia Train Station was built as a replica of the original station on the Clementon Branch of the Pennsylvania Reading Seashore Line. Stop in and visit us to learn about Magnolia’s origins, events, and people—past and present.

    All visitors are advised to review the Magnolia Historical Society’s website (link) BEFORE making a visit to ensure that the site is open and ready for visitors.

    Location: 215 West Evesham Avenue, Magnolia NJ

    Photo: Courtesy of Magnolia Historical Society

  • 18 Newton Friends Meeting

    The Newton Friends Meeting traces its origins to the founding of Camden in 1679. Today, the 1824 meetinghouse is the oldest religious structure remaining in the City of Camden. The meeting grounds, comprising about half of the original plot, provide an appreciated sylvan refuge within the downtown. The Friends are restoring the long-vacant meetinghouse for community group use. Newton Friends worship in the property schoolhouse.

    All visitors are advised to review the Newton Friends Meeting website (link) BEFORE making a visit to ensure that the building is open and ready for visitors.

    Location: 808 Cooper Street, Camden NJ

    Photo: Courtesy of Newton Friends Meeting

  • 19 Lawnside Historical Society Peter Mott House

    The Lawnside Historical Society preserves the heritage of Lawnside, New Jersey, a historic African American town founded by free Blacks and fugitives from slavery. Lawnside is the only antebellum African American community to later become an incorporated municipality in the State of New Jersey. The Peter Mott House Underground Railroad Museum was the residence of Peter Mott (c.1807- 1881) between c.1844, when he acquired the first of three parcels of land on which the house was erected, and 1879, when he sold it to Levis Moore. There are oral traditions and forceful circumstantial evidence within Lawnside that maintain Mott was an agent of the Underground Railroad who used his home as a “station.” Mott, a free Black farmer, also served as a minister at the Snow Hill Church, now known as Mount Pisgah African Methodist Episcopal Church.

    Visitors are advised to review the website (link) BEFORE planning a tour to confirm that the site is open and ready for visitors.

    Location: 26 Kings Court, Lawnside NJ

    Photo: Courtesy of Lawnside Historical Society

  • 20 Ritz Theatre Company

    The Ritz Theatre is an all-inclusive theatre company embracing diversity in its stories and those who share them. Come for live performances for all ages in the historic 1927 Vaudeville theatre or register your child for theatre arts training!

    The Ritz Theatre was built in 1927 by the William E. Butler Company as a neighborhood movie theater serving Oaklyn and Haddon Township. It is a product of the streetcar suburb development of the 1920s that resulted from the industrial expansion of Camden in the post-World War I era. The Ritz is a well-preserved example of the 1920s neighborhood “movie palace” and is a locally significant example of Classical Revival architecture. Particularly notable are the auditorium murals featuring classical scenes, the gilt Corinthian columns, and the surviving original ticket booth and marquee, updated with LED lighting.

    Tours by appointment only. Please visit the Ritz Theatre Company’s website (link) to reach out to us to schedule a tour.

    Location: 915 White Horse Pike, Haddon Township NJ

    Photo: Courtesy of Donna Miller, Ritz Theatre Company

  • 21 St. Joseph's History Society of South Camden

    St Joseph’s Church, School, and Rectory have anchored the Polish community in the Whitman Park neighborhood since Polish Catholics were first granted permission to set up a parish led by Polish priests and following Polish customs in 1892.

    The school was built first in 1895 at 10th and Liberty Streets, which housed a church on the second floor and classrooms on the first floor. The building was designed by noted Philadelphia architect Edward Forrest Durang. The parishioners themselves excavated the foundation in order to reduce the cost to $15,000. This building is now used as a Parish Hall.

    Further growth in the Parish led to the 1914 construction of a handsome new church with an especially fine interior, designed by Philadelphia architect George I. Lovatt, Sr. in 1912. Lovatt also designed alterations to the adjacent school to increase the number of classrooms.

    A $750,000 fundraising campaign began in 2003 to restore the exterior of the church. The church is open for tours on the second Saturday of each month, October through January. Be sure to visit the “szopka,” the automated nativity scene, permanently installed in the Parish Hall. Learn more at (link)

    All visitors are advised to review the Facebook page of St. Joseph's Polish Roman Catholic Church (link) BEFORE making a visit to ensure that the site is open and ready for visitors.

    Location: 1010 Liberty Street, Camden NJ

    Photo: Courtesy of St. Joseph's Historical Society of South Camden

  • 22 Scottish Rite Auditorium

    The Excelsior Scottish Rite Auditorium, located in Collingswood, NJ, was constructed to accommodate the early twentieth-century growth of the Excelsior Consistory of the Scottish Rite. It is significant as a building designed specifically to accommodate the theatrical presentations that characterized Scottish Rite Reunions. Built as the order reached the peak of its membership, its substantial size and elaborate decoration point to the importance of the Excelsior Scottish Rite to the southern New Jersey community. It is also notable as an elaborate example of an early twentieth-century legitimate theater, the only one of its size and elaboration built in Camden County. The auditorium is the home of the Collingswood Community Theater, which features performances from small dramas to large musicals. Learn more about the organization that manages this site today as a theater and live music venue at their website (link).

    Location: 315 White Horse Pike, Collingswood NJ

    Photo: Courtesy of Scottish Rite Auditorium

  • 23 Stratford Quaker Store

    In the Village of White Horse (now Stratford), a General Store was built in 1743. After it was demolished in 1884, the current Quaker Store was built on its foundation. Step back in time and visit this historic store!

    All visitors are advised to review the Stratford Quaker Store website (link) BEFORE making a visit to ensure that the site is open and ready for visitors.

    Location: 17 North White Horse Pike, Stratford NJ

  • 24 Walt Whitman House

    For the last eight years of his life, from 1884 until 1892, Walt Whitman (May 31, 1819- March 26, 1892) occupied this plain frame house at 330 Mickle Street (now 330 Martin Luther King Boulevard) in Camden, New Jersey. During his time on Mickle Street, Whitman grew to be an international celebrity renowned for his distinctly American style of poetry.

    In 1855 he self-published a 95-page anthology of poems, Leaves of Grass. The book is now a landmark in American literature, although at the time of its publication it was considered highly controversial. Whitman continued to add to the volume until its ninth edition, published just months before he died in 1892.

    Whitman’s legacy as a great American poet was also solidified by his close friends during his final years in Camden, and shortly after his passing, Whitman’s friend and biographer Horace Traubel started the Walt Whitman Fellowship (known today as the Walt Whitman Association). Whitman is buried in a remarkable tomb that he commissioned in Harleigh Cemetery. The small, two-story house is a National Historic Landmark.

    All visitors are advised to review the Walt Whitman House Association’s website (link) BEFORE making a visit to ensure that the site is open and ready for visitors.

    Location: 330 Mickle (MLK) Blvd., Camden NJ

  • 25 Whitman Stafford Farm House

    Walt Whitman spent many days and months at the farm and nearby Crystal Spring on Big Timber Creek, between 1876 and 1884, as a visitor to the farm of George Stafford. During his time here, he edited parts of Leaves of Grass and Specimen Days. Whitman was invited to the farm by one of the Stafford children who worked for a Camden printer. Whitman had an open invitation to visit the family home at 315 East Maple Avenue in Laurel Springs. He maintained his visits to the farm and nearby “Crystal Springs,” located at West Elma and Lakeview, which helped him regain his health. He wrote of the farm, the spring, the creek, and the Laurel Lake. To him, Laurel Lake was "the prettiest lake in either America or Europe.”

    All visitors are advised to review the Whitman Stafford Farmhouse’s Facebook page (link) BEFORE making a visit to ensure that the site is open and ready for visitors. The house is handicap-accessible on the first floor only.

    Location: 315 Maple Avenue, Laurel Springs NJ

    Photo: Courtesy of Whitman Stafford Farm House

  • 26 Historical Society of Winslow Township

    Come to this 1920s farmhouse located in the heart of Winslow Township and see artifacts and exhibits about early brickworks, glassworks, and agricultural life. Learn about the people, families, churches, organizations, and schools of the largest municipality in Camden County.

    All visitors are advised to review the Historical Society of Winslow Township Facebook page (link) BEFORE making a visit to ensure that the site is open and ready for visitors. The site is handicap-accessible on the first floor only.

    Location: 124 Pump Branch Road, Waterford Works, NJ

  • 27 Audubon Historical Society

    The Audubon Historical Society is an active group that offers local history programs and walking tours. Programs are either in person or via Zoom. The Audubon Historical Society has an active Facebook page where local residents post photos of the community from the past. Learn more about the Audubon Historical Society from their Facebook (link) page.

    Location: Meets at 247 Oakland Avenue, Audubon NJ

    Photo: Courtesy of the Audubon Historical Society

  • 28 Barrington Historical Society

    The Barrington Historical Society presents lectures and events about local history. They meet at the Barrington Senior Center at 229 Trenton Avenue, Barrington NJ. To learn more about their programming contact Janis Stuart at janisstuart18@gmail.com.

    Location: 229 Trenton Avenue, Barrington NJ

  • 29 Berlin Township Historical Association

    Berlin Township Historical Association has an active Facebook page where society members post photos of the community and promote local events. The organization also hosts lectures throughout the year. Learn more about them on their Facebook page (link)

    Location: Meets at Senior Citizens Complex, 240 Pine Avenue, West Berlin NJ

    Photo: Courtesy of Berlin Township Historical Association

  • 30 The Center at Camden County College

    The Center at Camden County College offers mini-courses, special events, and lecture series for community members. Most lectures are free and open to the public. These bring scholars, authors, and experts in their field to campus to speak on a range of tropics. Some lecture series are tied to 15-week Topics in History courses that include attendance at each lecture plus college credit-bearing classes taught by tenured CCC professors. Single events like the annual Constitution Day lecture, annual Lorenzi Lecture, and film screenings are typically free. The Center also offers bus tours, and the cost often includes entrance fees and transportation. Most offerings are held at the Blackwood campus at 200 College Drive, Blackwood NJ. Learn more about the Center at Camden County College on its website (link).

    Location: Blackwood campus at 200 College Drive, Blackwood NJ

  • 31 Haddon Heights Historical Society

    The Haddon Heights Historical Society has been active in its efforts to acquire, maintain, and display significant historical articles, records, publications, photographs, sketches, and artifacts in the local history department of the Haddon Heights Free Public Library. The Historical Society collects, records, and preserves local history with respect to sites, buildings, early settlers, family names, deeds and records, cemeteries, religious congregations, local government, clubs and organizations, and other matters of significance in the history and development of the community. The organization has also long been active in fundraising for and placing interpretive signs to highlight the many historic assets in the community. The Historical Society offers lectures about local and regional topics and has been a resource for local historians seeking to learn more about their historic homes. Learn more at the Haddon Heights Historical Society website (link)

    Location: Meets at Haddon Heights Library, 608 Station Avenue, Haddon Heights NJ

  • 32 Haddon Township Historical Society

    The Haddon Township Historical Society is an active organization that hosts lectures, exhibitions, and other events at the Haddon Township Historical and Environmental Center, located at 143 East Ormond Avenue, Haddon Township, NJ. Learn more about the Haddon Township Historical Society from the Haddon Township Historical Society Facebook page (link)

    Location: Meets at 143 East Ormond Avenue, Haddon Township NJ

  • 33 Haddonfield Chapter DAR

    For over 125 years, members of the Haddonfield Chapter DAR have volunteered throughout Camden County to support veterans and promote patriotism, historic preservation, and education for youth. All members have a proven, direct bloodline from a patriot who fought or provided support for independence during the American Revolution. With over 3,000 chapters in the USA, the DAR is a nonprofit, non-political lineage organization for women. In addition, the Haddonfield Chapter proudly sponsors the Elizabeth Haddon Society of the National Society of the Children of the American Revolution (CAR). Both boys and girls up to age 21 may join the CAR. Please see the Haddonfield Chapter of the DAR website (link) for more information.

  • 34 Heights Heritage League

    The Heights Heritage League is a local history organization dedicated to the rich history of Haddon Heights, NJ. Over the years, the organization has been an advocate for preserving the historic buildings and homes in Haddon Heights. To learn more about this organization, contact Rosemary.t.fitzgerald@gmail.com.

  • 35 MARCH Mid-Atlantic Regional Center for the Humanities

    The Mid-Atlantic Regional Center for the Humanities (MARCH) at Rutgers-Camden is an academic program that promotes innovation, collaboration, and best practices in public humanities. Signature projects include compiling The Encyclopedia of Greater Philadelphia, facilitating research and interpretation for the Cooper Street Historic District and the surrounding vicinity, and offering a continuing education program in historic preservation. Learn more about MARCH on the Rutgers website (link)

    Location: 325 Cooper Street, Camden NJ

  • 36 Merchantville Historical Society

    The Merchantville Historical Society has been busy since 1974 gathering and preserving scores of photos of the community, with many residents amassing private collections. The organization was responsible for listing two neighborhoods: the Cattell Tract and the Oaks, as well as several other homes, in the State and National Registers of Historic Places.

    As stewards of their legacy, they sense the purpose and vision of the first families in Merchantville. Merchantville’s first railroad, the Camden and Burlington Railroad, impacted its initial growth phase (1860s). Serving as a vital center outside the city of Camden, the merchants and proprietors prospered in this borough of less than a square mile. As custodial caretakers of their heritage, they continue to be progressive preservers of “Our Town.” Learn more about the organization at their website (link).

    Location: Meets at 212 Somerset Avenue, Merchantville NJ

  • 37 Oaklyn Historical Society

    The Oaklyn Historical Society offers regular lectures and events about local history. They meet at the Oaklyn Borough Hall. To learn more about this organization contact Charles Lehman at pnets44@yahoo.com.

    Location: Borough Hall, 1 East Bettlewood Avenue, Oaklyn NJ

  • 38 Old Baldy Civil War Roundtable of Philadelphia

    The Old Baldy Civil War Round Table was founded in 1977 to promote education and preservation of Civil War-era history. On the second Thursday of each month, it presents programs to educate members, guests, and the public on different aspects of the Civil War. Programs are available via Zoom for those unable to attend in person. Recordings are published on its website. The Round Table works with and supports other local, regional, and national organizations in the Civil War community. Its award-winning newsletter is a treasure trove of information and is available on the website (link).

    Location: Meets at Camden County College, William T. Rhorer Center, Room 210, 1889 Marlton Pike East, Cherry Hill NJ

  • 39 Sons of the American Revolution (SAR)

    The South Jersey Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution is part of the larger National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution (NSSAR or SAR). Founded in 1889, the SAR is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to promoting patriotism, preserving American history, and promoting education to future generations. The SAR has special programs supporting the military, K-12 students, Jr. ROTC members, Boy Scouts, and outstanding efforts from other community members. Its Revolutionary War Color Guard participates at various community functions. The SAR seeks to maintain and expand the meaning of patriotism, respect for national symbols, the value of American citizenship, and the unifying force of “E Pluribus Unum”—that forged one nation and one people from the people of many nations. Learn more about the South Jersey Chapter of The Sons of the Revolution website (link).

    Photo: Courtesy of Sons of the American Revolution South Jersey Chapter

  • 40 The Vault at Victor Records

    The Vault at Victor Records is an entertainment and education venue in Berlin, NJ. A world-class entertainment venue and the official archive of Victor Talking Machine Company/Victor Music Group and its associated record labels, Victor Vault was formed in 2015 to establish an educational and research organization for the study and appreciation of the artistic techniques and development of sound recording. The collection focuses on the birth of recorded sound and offers programming from Caruso to Coldplay and Louis Armstrong to the Beatles. Learn more at the Vault at Victor Records website (link).

    Location: 150 South White Horse Pike, Berlin NJ

    Photo: Courtesy of The Vault at Victor Records

  • 41 Waterford Township Historical Society

    The official Historical Society for Waterford Township, NJ, this organization meets regularly at the Louden Fire Hall. Learn more about the organization from their Facebook page Waterford Township Historical Society (link).

    Location: PO Box 344, Atco NJ

  • 42 West Jersey National Railroad Historical Society

    Founded in 1946, The West Jersey Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society meets monthly, except in the summer months. Its mission is to preserve the story of railroading in South Jersey. The organization has published many books on the subject (many for sale on their website). The most recent book is the history of Conrail’s Pavonia Yard in Camden. The organization has a large collection of historic photos, mostly taken by their members over the decades. Trains, trolleys, and subways are topics of interest. Monthly membership meetings feature a wide variety of rail-oriented entertainment, including slideshows, movies, and guest speakers from other organizations and the rail industry. The Historical Society also coordinates group trips. Learn more on their website (link).

    Location: Meets at Audubon Senior Center, 247 Oaklyn Avenue, Audubon NJ

  • 43 Camden County Cultural and Heritage Commission

    The Camden County Cultural & Heritage Commission, founded in 1972, recognizes the role of the arts and local history in making our communities dynamic places to live and work. The Commission was established and designated by the Board of Chosen Commissioners to receive and administer the New Jersey State Council on the Arts’ Local Arts Program and the New Jersey Historical Commission’s County History Partnership Program within Camden County. These grant programs provide funding for small and emerging nonprofit organizations through the Commission’s re-grant program. Learn more about the Commission’s programs and grant activities from its website (link)

    Location: 200 College Drive, Blackwood NJ

  • 44 Camden County Department of Events and Community Outreach

    The Camden County Department of Events and Community Outreach is responsible for organizing and marketing a wide range of special events, programs, and initiatives presented by the Camden County Board of Commissioners. They work to keep residents in the know about all the resources and events available throughout the county. For a full list of events and programing visit their website (link)

    Location: 1301 Park Blvd, Cherry Hill NJ

  • 45 Camden County Open Space

    The Camden County Open Space, Recreation, Farmland, and Historic Preservation Trust Fund was established to ensure that children today, and their children, will have the benefit of enjoying the remaining open space that exists in Camden County for years to come. The County is committed to preserving parks, natural areas, historic sites, and farmland for all to enjoy. Camden County Open Space Preservation Trust Fund Advisory Committee members, appointed by the County’s Board of Commissioners, convene on the last Thursday of every month to provide guidance on implementing the Trust Fund and the Open Space preservation principles it represents. Learn more about them on their website (link)

    Location: 1301 Park Blvd., Cherry Hill NJ

  • 46 Cherry Hill Historical Commission

    Dedicated to preserving the history of the Township, the Cherry Hill Historical Commission collects, preserves, and maintains archives and memorabilia and assists in identifying historical resources in Cherry Hill. The Commission's archives include documents, images, and artifacts relative to the history, growth, and development of Cherry Hill. The Cherry Hill Historical Commission also sponsors lectures and programs throughout the year on a variety of historical topics. The Commission's meetings are held on the second Wednesday of September, November, January, March, and May at Croft Farm. Learn more at their website Cherry Hill Historical Commission (link).

    Location: 820 Mercer Street, suite 102, Cherry Hill NJ

  • 47 Camden City Hall

    Camden City Hall is a civic landmark and government hub. The tallest building in the city, standing at 371 feet, it is jointly owned by the City of Camden and Camden County. Construction of Camden City Hall began in 1929 and was completed in 1931. It was designed by Camden architects Alfred Green and Byron Edwards. City Hall is a beautiful example of Art Deco architecture, featuring modern metalwork throughout.

    City Hall houses over 500 employees who work for both the City and County of Camden and sees over 350,000 visitors annually. See the new City of Camden Heritage Tourism Interactive Touchscreen Kiosk near the elevators on the first floor, featuring over 350 years of influential Camden people, places, and events!

    City Hall is open to the public Monday-Friday from 8:30AM to 4:30PM (excluding holidays). For more information visit the City’s website (link).

    Location: 520 Market Street, Camden NJ

    Photo: Courtesy of City of Camden

  • 48 Schooner North Wind

    Set sail on the premier sailing charter in the Philadelphia/Camden County area. The Schooner North Wind offers sunset sails, group charters, fireworks cruises, youth learning, and historic sails. Visit its website for more information: (link).

    All visitors are advised to review the Schooner North Wind’s website BEFORE making a visit to ensure that the location is open and ready for visitors. The boat does not have a wheelchair lift. Restrooms are below decks, reached by a ladder.

    Location: 101 South King Street, Gloucester City NJ

    Photo: Courtesy of Schooner North Wind

  • 49 Somerdale Historical Society

    Welcome to the Somerdale Historical Society. Visit the Society’s website (link), to see videos of past events and take a walking tour to enjoy the rich history of the Borough of Somerdale, NJ.

    Location: Borough Hall, 105 Kennedy Blvd., Somerdale NJ

  • 50 Visit South Jersey

    Get away, close to home in South Jersey! Just a bridge away from Philadelphia, Visit South Jersey is the destination marketing organization for Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, and Salem counties, as well as the Outer Coast Plain Wine Region in South Jersey— the nationally acclaimed 2.25-million-acre wine region within the state. Wine and dine in the Garden State with 60+ wineries, breweries, and distilleries surrounded by farm-fresh cuisine, arts and culture, outdoor adventures, and family fun!

    Working with thousands of tourism stakeholders, VSJ promotes travel to the region by creating and packaging tourism products and marketing South Jersey as a destination. For details on what’s happening in South Jersey go to the Visit South Jersey website (link).

    Location: 250 South Park Drive, Haddon Township NJ

  • 51 Audubon, Lafayette Attacks!

    Gilbert du Motier, the Marquis de Lafayette, was a young man,  just 19 years old when he arrived in Philadelphia in July 1777 to fight for the Continental Army. Lafayette, then an honorary Major General, was anxious to distinguish himself on a battlefield in America. He was a wealthy nobleman and wanted to learn from other highly trained officers. He was introduced to the Continental Commander in Chief, George Washington.

    Not long after, the British occupied Philadelphia, and Washington sent Continental Major General Nathanael Greene to defend Fort Mercer on the Delaware River. Lafayette volunteered to go to New Jersey with Greene.

    Lafayette reviewed the land formations around Fort Mercer and discovered 350 German riflemen, called jägers, guarding British Lieutenant General Charles Cornwallis’s camp. Lafayette had less than 300 men with him but ordered them to attack the British and Hessian soldiers. The losses for the Hessians and British were far greater than for Lafayette’s soldiers.

    The whole Battle of Gloucester lasted only 45 minutes, but Lafayette’s “little succès of ours” won out. For his leadership in this battle, Lafayette was awarded a commission to lead a division of soldiers and became a Major General in the Continental Army.

    Location: 1825 Kings Highway, Audubon NJ

    Photo: Courtesy of Museums at Washington and Lee University, Lexington VA

  • 52 Mount Ephraim, Battle of Gloucester

    The Battle of Gloucester was short—it only lasted about 45 minutes, beginning late in the afternoon on November 25, 1777.  Later that evening, back in Haddonfield, the 20-year-old Marquis de Lafayette was excited by his adventure. The next day, he wrote a long letter to Washington, wanting “to acquaint your excellency of a little event of last evening which tho’ not very considerable in itself will certainly please you on the account of the bravery and alacrity a small party of ours showed in that occasion… I never saw men so merry, so spirited, so desirous to go on to the enemy.”

    That evening, Washington wrote Henry Laurens, President of the Continental Congress, recommending that Lafayette be given his most heartfelt wish: the command of a division of the Continental Army. The Marquis de Lafayette went on to distinguish himself at the Battle of Monmouth, the siege at Yorktown, VA, and in the Newport, RI, campaign before he returned to France in 1781.

    Location: Mary Bray School 225 West Kings Highway, NJ

    Photo: Map of the Battle of Gloucester, drawn by one of Lafayette’s soldiers. Courtesy Cornell University Library Digital Collection

  • 53 Gloucester City, Cold Spring School

    This map shows where the Battle of Gloucester took place along a 2.4-mile section of Kings Road (todays Kings Highway) in November 1777. The battle took place across several Camden County municipalities including Gloucester City, Mt. Ephraim, Brooklawn, Bellmawr, and much of Barrington and Haddon Heights.

    Officers planning military operations must know about the local topography to make a sensible battle plan. Like countless commanders before and after him, the Marquis de Lafayette did his best to learn the “lay of the land” before committing his men to combat. In 1777, this land was divided up by marshes and creeks that fed into the Delaware River. It is said that the area was more easily defended than attacked because there were so many creeks and swamps.

    This, then, made up the battlefield: a busy road flanked by houses, fields, farms, and woodlots. On November 25, 1777, as enemy soldiers occupied houses and plundered farms for food and supplies, the fighting threatened the lives and possessions of poor and wealthy alike who lived along this 2.4-mile portion of Kings Road.

    Location: 1194 Market Street, Gloucester City NJ

    Photo: Map showing key locations for the Battle of Gloucester, November 25, 1777. Courtesy of Garry Wheeler Stone.

  • 54 Gloucester City, County Courthouse and Malt House

    The courthouse in Gloucester County was here, at the heart of this small village, in the 18th century. Located on the corner of High and Second (now King) Streets, other county buildings and the jailer’s home surrounded it. The courthouse was a brick, two-story building with a first-floor jail. Completed in 1722, it was impressive for its time. It burned in 1786 as part of a fire at a nearby brewery.

    The courthouse was a public place where some of the key events of the American Revolution in New Jersey occurred. In July and December 1774, local citizens created the County’s Committees of Correspondence and Observation. The Committee of Observation enforced the local boycott of British goods and the Committee of Correspondence helped elect delegates to the First Continental Congress. Four times a year, in March, June, October, and December, the County Court came into session for two or three days to hear civil and criminal trials.

    Location: 26 South King Street, Gloucester City NJ

    Photo: A contemporary drawing of the historic Gloucester County Court House by Andrew Moroz, Courtesy of Gloucester High School Alumni Association, 1993-2021.

  • 55 Gloucester City, Hugg's Tavern

    Hugg’s Tavern, located between the old ferry wharf and the Gloucester County courthouse, was a vital meeting place in Gloucester Town (now Gloucester City). Travelers arriving by horse or ferry from Philadelphia were fed and housed at Hugg’s Tavern. Hugg’s Tavern was also a Gloucester County public place almost as important as the courthouse itself. Judges, lawyers, attorneys, plaintiffs, and defendants used the tavern for meetings. The county court workers went to the tavern for dinner, justices lodged there between sessions, and when it was unbearably cold in the courthouse, the court often met in the tavern.

    Hugg’s Tavern proved vital to the courts. “Commissioners met at the tavern to settle bankruptcies and to discuss freeing insolvent debtors from jail. Executors advertised that they would be at the tavern to meet with decedent's’ creditors, and here they auctioned decedents’ estates.”

    Today, the tavern is marked in Gloucester City’s Proprietors Park as an archaeological site. A recreational pier and marina have replaced the old ferry slip.

    Location: 225 South King Street, inside Proprietors Park, Gloucester City NJ

    Photo: Hugg’s Tavern shortly before demolition. Courtesy of Special Collections Research Center, Temple University

  • 56 Gloucester City, Sheriff Ellis’s House

    As a Continental officer, Colonel Joseph Ellis was determined to secure independence from Great Britain. But he also understood that good men could disagree. When two prominent Quaker leaders suffered arrest for refusing to swear allegiance to New Jersey’s insurgent government, Ellis housed them in his home until their cell could be cleaned and furnished, frequently visited them, and facilitated their release.

    As an officer enforcing the militia laws, orders from the governor, and direction from the Council of Safety, almost everything that Ellis required proved difficult to South Jerseyans. He drafted men from their farms to protect North Jersey, and to fill the New Jersey Continental regiments, and he took teams and wagons from owners to move supplies. While the British occupied Philadelphia, he had farmers along the Delaware River drive their cattle and horses out of reach of enemy foragers. Despite all this, Ellis remained popular. He was re-elected three times as Gloucester County sheriff and to higher office.

    Location: 101 South Kings Street, near the entrance to the City’s Freedom pier, Gloucester City NJ

    Photo: Joseph Ellis’s Home in the 1830s, demolished in the 19th Century, Courtesy of Marian S. Carson Collection, Library of Congress.

  • 57 Gloucester City, Morgan’s Rifle Corps

    On November 27, 1777, as British soldiers embarked for Philadelphia, Continental soldiers opened fire on them. The Continental Army had failed in their effort to prevent the British from opening the Delaware River to British shipping. British Commander Lord Cornwallis had landed at Billingsport, Gloucester County, on November 18, 1777, and leveled Fort Mercer two days later, forcing the Continentals to evacuate. On November 25, Cornwallis began shipping stolen equipment, horses, cattle, and troops from Gloucester City and elsewhere back to Philadelphia.

    Gloucester Town had only two wharves, so it was a slow process loading flatboats with the stolen goods. After the cargo was loaded, British riflemen were the last to board the flatboats to cross the Delaware River back into Philadelphia. The Continental Morgan’s Rifle Corps saw an opportunity to attack and opened fire on the flatboats. They wounded one British light infantry officer, several soldiers, and a seaman.

    Location: 225 South King Street, Gloucester City

    Photo: British naval attack on Fort Mercer in Red Bank, Courtesy of Gloucester County NJ Historical Society.

  • 58 Brooklawn, Cornwallis encampment, Big Timber Bridge, Two Tun Tavern

    On November 17-18, 1777, British General Lord Charles Cornwallis and 4,250 British and Hessian troops landed at Billingsport, south of Camden on the Delaware River, near today’s West Deptford. Their mission was to take Fort Mercer at Red Bank, NJ, which Continental soldiers built to protect the Delaware River from British ships sailing into the Philadelphia docks. It took only two days of fighting for the Continental Army to evacuate Fort Mercer.

    On November 21, the British light infantry found the Great Timber Creek Bridge “broke up” by Continental soldiers. The following day, five companies of British soldiers crossed the creek to protect the workmen repairing the bridge. That evening, a British soldier recalled: “a small party of the Rebels  [Continentals} appeared and begun to be troublesome, firing on us from a railing on the Other side of a small swamp, from which we soon drove them, but with the loss of 2 men of the 5th light Company killed, and man of the 4th Company Wounded.”

    Location: South Hanevig & Tommy McAdam Streets, Brooklawn NJ.

    Photo: British General Charles Cornwallis, 1st Marquess Cornwallis, Courtesy of Mount Vernon Ladies Association

  • 59 Gloucester Township, Ashbrook Burial Ground

    British Commander-in-Chief William Howe, who oversaw the British occupation of Philadelphia starting in September 1777, wanted to reopen the Delaware River again to British shipping to feed his troops. However, the Continental Army controlled Fort Mercer, located at a strategic point on the east bank of the Delaware River in Gloucester Township, just south of Philadelphia. Howe sent German soldiers called Hessians across the Delaware River to attack Fort Mercer. The Hessians landed first at Cooper’s Ferry in what is now Camden, and then marched to and camped at Haddonfield, NJ. The next morning, the Hessians marched along the Kings Road south toward Fort Mercer. Approaching Gloucester Town, the Hessians learned that the British militia had dismantled the bridge across Great Timber Creek, leaving them stranded and without a path forward. More than 400 Hessians were killed fighting the Continental soldiers at Fort Mercer. Their comrades buried the Hessians in this convenient burial ground of John Ashbrooke.

    Location: 513 Melvin Street, Gloucester Township NJ

    Photo: Jäger Corps 1784, hand colored sketch by K.H. Carl and J.C. Muller. Courtesy of Anne S. F. Brown Military Collections, Brown Digital Repository, Brown University Library

  • 60 Gloucester Township, Chews Landing, St John's Episcopal Church,

    Tidal Navigation—Watermen could navigate five miles into the heart of old Gloucester County using the tides. They rowed and poled upstream with an incoming tide and navigated downstream with an ebbing tide and the current. Before the 17th century ended, watermen floated great rafts of timber down the creek to Philadelphia along with barrel staves, cedar shingles, fence rails, firewood, and charcoal. Soon, there were sawmills along the creeks. 

    Location: Chews Landing, St. John's Episcopal Church, 1730 Old Black Horse Pike, Runnemede NJ

    Photo: Queen’s Ranger infantry and hussar. Courtesy of Toronto Public Library

  • 61 Gloucester Township, Gabreil Daveis Tavern

    After the British burned his tavern and barn at the port of Chestnut Neck, Major George Payne (c.1730-1795) moved to Chews Landing and reinvented himself as a farmer and merchant.

    George Payne, “Waterman,” first appears in historical records during July 1755, when he married Mary Davis of Great Egg Harbor Township. He purchased 115 acres at Chestnut Neck in 1760 and 200 acres of woodland in 1764. His daughter Mary was born in 1763. In 1773, he and his wife paid taxes for their land, six cattle, and a sailing vessel.

    In 1772, Payne obtained a tavern license for his home at Chestnut Neck. During 1775-1778, Payne was centrally located, since this Mullica River port served as a base for thirsty privateersmen. Payne profited through auctions that attracts customers to the Gabreil Daveis Tavern. Today this property is a historic house museum open regularly to the public.

    Location: 500 Third Avenue, Glendora NJ

    Photo: Dunlap’s Pennsylvania Packet, the General Advertiser, 1 October 1778, page 1.

  • 62 Bellmawr, Hugg-Harrison House

    In mid-November 1777, Continental Major General Nathanael Greene and his men were ordered to New Jersey by Continental Commander in Chief George Washington to defend Fort Mercer. Stationed in Haddonfield, Greene prepared to attack the British with four infantry brigades. However, as the Continental Army scouts learned about British General Cornwallis’s camp at Gloucester Town, they found it was surrounded by the Newton and Little Timber Creeks, Mile Run, woods, and marshes, so that making an attack would be very difficult. Greene decided not to attack British General Cornwallis, but he allowed the Marquis de Lafayette to attack an outpost with a small force of ten Continental horsemen, 150 riflemen, and 200 other soldiers. The Continental soldiers, commanded by Continental  Colonel Joseph Ellis, included Continental Captain William Harrison and other men from Gloucester Town. Lafayette’s “little success"  would be the only bright spot in what was otherwise a Continental disaster.

    Location: 515 West Browning Road, Bellmawr NJ

    Photo: Map of local property holdings during the Battle of Gloucester, 1777. Courtesy of Garry Wheeler Stone.

  • 63 Haddonfield, Indian King Tavern

    In January 1777, the New Jersey Assembly sublet the second floor of this dwelling, removed the partition, and moved in. Here they struggled to wage war against an British-German army occupying much of central New Jersey.. The assemblymen (two from each county) strengthened the law that made military service mandatory, created armories where each county could store weapons, prohibited the export of war materiel, and imposed martial law. Then the British Army abandoned the Raritan valley, sailed south, and marched on Philadelphia. The New Jersey Legislature moved back to central New Jersey.

    In January 1777, this house comprised one of a row of three rental properties Quaker Thomas Redman owned. In May, Redman sold the buildings to Hugh and Mary Creighton, proprietors of the Indian King Tavern on the other side of the street. The Creighton's converted these three dwellings into Haddonfield’s finest tavern. The second-floor assembly room, elegantly remodeled, became the tavern’s ballroom.

    Location: 233 Kings Highway East, Haddonfield NJ

    Photo: Indian King Tavern Museum, a State Historic Site in Haddonfield, NJ. Courtesy of Historic American Buildings Survey

  • 64 Haddonfield, Guard House Prisoners of War

    During 1777, soldiers slept in this building. Entrusted with protecting New Jersey’s state government officials from attack, these soldiers also guarded prisoners that the Council of Safety (which consisted of twelve men and the governor) brought here for questioning.

    Here in Haddonfield, March 15, 1777, the New Jersey legislature reauthorized the Council of Safety’s charge to apprehend “any Person disaffected to or acting against the Government.” The council was busy in March and May, questioning over fifty individuals. Most were judged not dangerous and permitted to return home after pledging allegiance to the state government. The council required others to post a bond, while still others were held in the “Guard House.” On May 23, 1777, twenty-six prisoners guarded by Lieutenant Andrew Irvine and eleven men of the 7th Pennsylvania Regiment, jammed the Guard House.

    Many other prisoners passed through Haddonfield on their way to prison in Pennsylvania or North Jersey. During Lord Cornwallis’ occupation of Gloucester Town, November 24-27, 1777, these captives included sixteen British soldiers and seven Hessian riflemen.

    Location: 260 Kings Highway East, Haddonfield NJ

    Photo: The Old Guard House in Haddonfield, private residence. Courtesy of Guardhouse (waymarking.com)